First off you must know I’m an Army wife and a huge supporter of the law enforcement community. I interact with some level of law enforcement daily, as in every time I drive onto a base.
1. Law enforcement officers are humans, they are doing a largely thankless job.
2. The news has less than 1% of people’s interactions with law enforcement officers.
3. If you are honest and polite they are a lot more likely to work with you.
4. In some situations their hands are tied, they can’t not take you to jail if you have an outstanding warrant.
5. Law enforcement officers want to go home and see their families, just like you do.
6. If you are cooperative and polite they might be able to let you have some small bit of comfort such as calling a friend or spouse or a cigarette before they have to take you in for whatever it is. That old saying you get more friends with honey than vinegar holds true, even with law enforcement officers. Remember they are people too.
7. No one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes, including law enforcement officers. Their mistakes can usually be worked out faster if you remain calm.
8. If you are dumb enough or crazy enough to shoot at an officer or reach for their weapon what do expect them to do. They will do whatever they must to defend themselves, this is not an over reaction, it’s their training.
9. When law enforcement officers get a call the last thing on their mind is the race of the caller, they only know someone needs help.
10. Take some time to talk to a law enforcement officers in a relaxed setting, it will make things easier when something goes wrong.
A huge thank you to all of the law enforcement officers out there, you do an amazing and largely thankless job. It takes a special person to put themselves in harms way to help others.